- Deployment landscape in k8s is quite rich: Weave flux, ksonnet, pulumi, Octupus, DeployHub and Helm …
- Those tools have a lot of system capabilities
- Package/Dependency Management
- Application Descriptors: Metadata, urls to upstreams
- Application Discovery: places where to search for applications
- Lifecycle Management
- Kustomize’s target is customization i.e. it let’s you customize your yaml files to your specific env.
- Kustomize read the
- The work behind Kustomize:
- Kustomize provides many features:
- Can add specific annotations, labels, and prefixes in names, namespaces, to secific resources.
- Overlays: create separate kustomization files for each environnement, pulling from a base.
- Mix-in configs: pulls configurations from different bases.
- Patches: operate on existing yaml files, replace or add segments and outputs it.
- ConfigMaps/Secret Generators: generate configmaps push them into the resources.